This dish can be whipped up in no time, especially if you already have some marinated chicken in the fridge, or better, the already grilled one. Or roasted, or fried, take your pick. You can even do without the meat as the sauce itself tastes fabulous and really good on its own. I like lit with linguine, but it also goes with any pasta really; penne, spaghetti, tagliatelle. Macaroni even. Yesterday, I whipped up this linguine in a jiffy as The Husband suddenly decided to ‘pop by home for lunch’, and gave me a half hour notice! We enjoyed it, and I am certain this shall be back on my staple diet once the on-call days and nights resume.
Mediterranean Chargrilled Chicken Linguine
a handful of linguine-cooked al dente
1 clove garlic-crushed
1 medium sized onion-diced
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
a handful of cherry tomatoes
400g chopped tomatoes
1 medium sized courgette-diced
1 bell pepper-diced
1 tbsp oregano
1 medium sized chicken breast-cut into cubes and marinated
Marinade for the chicken
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* Marinade the chicken for at least 10 minutes, or preferably overnight*
1. Cook the linguine in boiling water with additional pinh of salt and olive oil until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Whilst the linguine is being cooked, place all the vegetables and marinated chicken on a griddle , sprinkle with oregano and grill until they are almost charred. Drizzle with some oil and set aside. Shred the chicken into pieces.
3. In a wok, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Let it simmer. Once the sauce is slightly thickened, add in the grilled chicken and vegetables. Stir for few minutes and remove from heat.
4. Serve the linguine on a plate and pour over the chicken-vegetable sauce. Drizzle with some lemon juice for that extra kick.