White Flour Poori

I am initially hesitant to put up this recipe on the blog, as I would not claim this to be a ‘healthy’ recipe, and we really do try to steer clear from the deep fried goodies. But you know what, those pooris happened to be one of my childhood favourites,so when my aunt made them recently and they puffed up so nicely, I just had to do them myself and share them with all of you!
Our household usually prefers the plain flour poori, instead of the healthy wholemeal version, and believe it or not, I have never made the wholemeal pooris at all, and have always stuck by this awesome recipe, so I couldn’t compare which would taste better. I know that most Indian households prefer poori with channa curry, but in our carnivorous family, every time when there is some leftover beef or lamb curry from the night before, pooris always fare well on our breakfast menu.
I have an eternal love for all things bread, healthy or not, they feature much better than rice on my day-to-day menu. From unleavened Indian breads, to buns and seeded loaves, they remain here to stay, Noawadays I could count the days of deep frying pooris, thanks to the vigourous use of bread maker that produces beautiful homemade brioche and loaves, and also my personal desire to stay trim, but then those puffed up heavenly would make me succumb, and down I fall from my so-called healthy bandwagon. But one thing for sure, there is no regret, as they do taste divine. The taste and oh so smooth flaky pieces surely do make up for the whopping calories, in my book at least!

My generous aunt has graciously shared her recipe here, so here goes, white flour poori that will never fail you, and will always be the crowning jewel on your breakfast table.

White Flour Poori

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp milk powder
salted lukewarm water as required
Oil for deep frying

Method

1. In a bowl, place the flour, milk powder, baking powder and ghee. Add the salted water gradually and knead until dough is formed. Rest the dough for 10 minutes.

2. Form small balls, the size of pingpong balls. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a disc of about 1 cm thickness.

3. Ensure that oil is very hot ( but not smokey) before frying each disc of poori. Fry until both sides turned golden brown. If the oil is at right temperature, the pooris should puffed up during frying.

4. Serve warm with curry of your choice.

Note: Sending this recipe to this month’s Kerala Kitchen and Let’s Cook: Scrumptious Breakfast, an event hosted by Radhika of Tickling Palates.

10 Responses to White Flour Poori

1. Inside a British Mum's Kitchen September 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Sounds amazing and looks delicious – everything in moderation as my grandmother used to say! YUM
    Mary

2. Radhika September 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

It may not be healthy but indulging yourself sometimes is fun too. Thanks for the entry Doc. Happy to follow you and you are welcome to follow mine too.

3. Speed Cousine September 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

hi…mmmm..they look really appetizing…remember trying them in Nepal in 2008…thank you for posting this recipe.i will try this sometime this weekend and let you know how it turns out..nice pictures too. take care

4. Neha September 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

These puries look so nice…I always make them with whole wheat flour….These will be a good change…

5. aipi September 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

I have a confession I am a puriaholic..lol..this little thing makes me forget all my diet plans n your pics are making me to go in the kitchen n make some right now :D
    USMasala

6. Torviewtoronto September 9, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

yummy looking pooris

7. thefooddoctor September 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

I love poori but have not had it in years!
    thank you so much for posting the recipe
    can’t wait to try it

8. Jehanne September 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Radhika: Welcome to the blog,and thanks for the follow:-)

Swasam (fooddoctor): Pls do try them though we would be breaching our healthy advocacy here:P

Mary: I love ur grandma’s advice-trying to stay healthy is very difficult indeed tho!
    Thans a lot speed cuisine, neha and akeela, ur lovely comments are much appreciated!
    Aipi: yay, another poori lover, go make them..like, now;-)

9. Sarah October 3, 2011 at 5:47 am #

yum! looks much less oilier than the whole wheat pooris..

10. khushi October 3, 2011 at 6:15 am #

My husband love these maide ka poori a lottt….but I can’t make them puffed all the time :(
    your look perfect
    do check the ongoing events and participate in this month long celebration :)
    Event :My Diwali My Way