Mexican Wedding cakes:Rose Levy Beranbaum’s meets Zoe Bakes

January is flying fast, so let me find out, are you on THE DIET still? If you are, let me tempt you with these delicious, traditional cookies known by so many names,and so many folktales. Some called them Russian teacakes ( why cakes, not cookies is beyond me)..they are also known as Mexican Wedding cakes- so whimsically romantic, with all the powdered sugar coating..! I love traditional cookies like this, as it also greatly reminds me of my favourite Suji cookies. Both are great for holiday gifts idea, door gifts for weddings, or just to be cherished with the afternoon cuppa.

So what with the catchy tribute-title? Through this cookie recipe, let me introduce to you two of my great inspirations in baking world, though surely they don’t need an introduction at all. Zoe of Zoe Bakes is a great pastry chef, who is also a cookbook author of the famous Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have been eyeing her goodies on her website even before I started blogging, and tried her mexican wedding cake recipe with great success for last year’s holiday bakes. Rose Levy Beranbaum is the Cake Goddess with so many cookbooks under her belt- the most inspirational for me is The Cake Bible. Recently I saw Rose’s cookie recipe here, and instantly noticed her creaming method is different than Zoe’s browning-the-butter technique. What did I do, I used Rose’s measurement and Zoe’s techniques, combined both recipes into a great, easy baking success!

Browning the butter brings out nutty flavour which complements well with the ground pecans in the cookies. Browned butter is a pot of molten gold, I tell you, just remember to strain it after cooling..and you get silky smooth gold perfect for baking.

Those delicious cookies were a big hit in our house, the ‘older’ cookie monster sneaked out of bed in the middle of the night to have a bite, then another, so a batch of cookies was gone in 3 days! I was then summoned to make another batch for the cookie monster to enjoy whilst driving to work!

I know your hols season is over, and the diet has begun. But do consider these for the indulgence that you so deserve:-)..straight to the cookies…

Mexican Wedding Cookies
recipe from Rose, method following Zoe’s

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup pecan
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

method

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan until dark brown.
2. Strain and cool the melted brown butter.
3. Grind pecan with 1/2 cup sugar.
4. Cream the butter with remaining sugar, it will be soupy.
5. Add the pecan, flour, salt and vanilla.
6. Form small balls, refrigerate briefly if dough is sticky.
7. Bake for 12 mins at 180C.
8. Once cooled, coat cookies with powdered sugar.

13 Responses to Mexican Wedding cakes:Rose Levy Beranbaum’s meets Zoe Bakes

1. Love to Experiment January 11, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Cute cakes

2. Marcellina January 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Yes, worth breaking the diet for! Love your photography!

3. Inside a British Mum's Kitchen January 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Forget the diet! these are gorgeous and your pictures are STUNNING!!!
    Mary x

4. Frabisa-Isabel La cocina de Frabisa January 13, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Honey, Jeanne! Thanks for the warning, the translator did not work, and I have a new one, now works!
    Happy New Year and a million kisses

5. Frabisa-Isabel La cocina de Frabisa January 13, 2013 at 7:59 am #

That cake so beautiful and such wonderful photos, you’re an artist!

6. chefindisguise.com January 13, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Those cookies are definetly worth every calorie :)
    Breath taking pictures Jehanne

7. cookingvarieties January 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

hi dr jehanne, lately i have acquired a liking for cookies and the sweets scare me a little. looks like my liking will grow fonder with these mexican cookies. hmmm. the pot looks fantastic, love your pics

8. Lawyer Loves Lunch January 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

I only recently realized Russian Tea Cakes are the same as Mexican Wedding Cookies. The cakes part definitely throws you off but whatever you call ‘em, the ones you made look delicious :)

9. Julie January 13, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Melt in mouth kinda cookies..yummy & delightful!!
    Join EP event-Nutmeg OR Parsley @ Chef Mireille’s Global Creations

10. Maha Gadde January 15, 2013 at 1:49 am #

wow very beautiful….well presented n yummy

11. M D January 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I gave up on my diet soon after new year and the resolutions too ;)

The Mexican wedding cake looks gorgeous!

12. Rosa's Yummy Yums January 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Lovely and totally irresistible! Those are some of my favorite cookies.

Cheers,

Rosa

13. Amy January 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

These are once of my favorite! Thanks for the tips on browning the butter. I usually don’t do that step in my recipe. I can imagine how much better it could be with the browned butter. Can’t wait to try your recipe. :)

Have a great weekend.