Pickled Strawberries

Just when I thought that I am out of wit for more blog posts for you, the Hubby surprised me with a text message one morning, just shortly after he dropped me off to work.

Do you think you can pickle some strawberries for me?’
I nearly fell off my chair, as he hardly asks for anything remotely sweet as we all already knew, and these days he knows better to just acquiesce whatever that is served on the table!

Only if you buy me the stuff“.
Came my snorty reply, though secretly I am impressed with his choice. Ha now it is time to play hard to get!

Anyways, a few punnets of strawberries, canning jars and some balsamic later, we had the house smelling of heaven, if only I knew what heaven smells like.

This is really a quick recipe, but what prolongs the misery is the waiting time, waiting for the flavours of cinnamon, star anise and brown sugar to amalgamate with the sweetness of strawberries and sour balsamic vinegar. We waited patiently and picked the brains for ideas to go along with the jar of strawberry goodness.

Buttermilk scones. with good dollop of creme fraiche and strawberries.

Pancakes for the weekend with mashed berries on top?

Or mix in simply with honey yogurt mousse that is been sitting in the fridge for way too long?

Everything seems to go up a notch in taste with pickled strawberries.

All the baking activities usually happen after the Princess goes to sleep, but this time round she was widely awake way past midnight and gobbled down the fresh succulent strawberries and pranced about. She saw the jar filled with hot vinegar, spices and sprigs of mints, “Hmm, this is beaauutiful!‘, in her exaggerated voice. It is good to hear that.

We kept the pickle in the fridge, and savoured it the next day. They are so delicious, that I can’t wait to make another batch soon!

Pickled Strawberries

400g strawberries
2 inch grated ginger
150ml balsamic vinegar
50ml rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 star anise
1 clove
1 cinnamon stick
Few sprigs mint leaves
1/2 cup sugar
a pinch of salt

Method
1. Boil the balsamic vinegar, with rice vinegar, sugar, water, spices and salt until simmering point.
2. Arrange the grated ginger, strawberries and mint leaves in mason jars.
3. Pour the hot vinegar until full.
4. Once lukewarm, close the lid and refrigerate overnight or over couple of days before serving.

28 Responses to Pickled Strawberries

1. Rekha Vengalil June 11, 2013 at 3:51 am #

Oh Loving it..:-) Pictures sure making me drool.. I like the princess sleeping door hanger too..!!

• Jehanne June 12, 2013 at 2:08 am #

That’s Cousy’s, I nicked it for the shot:P

2. Rosa's Yummy Yums June 11, 2013 at 6:11 am #

That is an interesting and original recipe! I’ve never heard of pickled strawberries before…

Cheers,

Rosa

3. Lubna Karim June 11, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Wow…love it…feel like grabbing one right off the screen….so tempting and clicks are refreshing….

4. tenacioustinkering June 11, 2013 at 6:38 am #

I have never, in my life, heard about pickled strawberries. You’ve piqued my curiosity now.

~Jayne

5. Shweta Agrawal June 11, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Such a nice recipe:) Yummy and tempting:) Loved the clicks :)
    U have beautiful blog :)

6. Rafeeda AR June 11, 2013 at 10:27 am #

i love the intro… hehe… even my HD hardly gives me a chance to play hard-to-get.. and didn’t u get a perfect reason!!! :) hey, can you please post that honey mousse u talking about… i’m really intrigued, though i may take a long long (please read between the lines!!!) to make it… hehe…

• Jehanne June 12, 2013 at 2:08 am #

haha you make me laugh each time! Well yes I will post the mousse very soon, i promise x

7. Priya Elias June 11, 2013 at 10:47 am #

That looks very beautiful Jehanne :) I will have to remember this in the next strawberry season here :)

8. Sona - quick picks/pick quicks June 11, 2013 at 11:19 am #

beautiful clciks, Jehanne. Thanks for dropping by my blog some time back – quick picks. Just liking ur fb page now. but that is under a different name – note’y pic’s :)

9. Corporate to Kitchen June 11, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Loved reading your post Doc. Thats was so sweet that your hubby came up with a wonderful idea. The pickled Strawberries look yummy. The clicks are amazing as always.

10. Premas Culinary June 11, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Very innovative and superb,will try this…

11. Swathi Iyer June 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Delicious pickled strawberries. I came through Rafeeda’s blog. You have a nice one.

12. Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights June 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Never heard of pickled strawberries and it looks so refreshing and divine….n truly said, ‘if only we knew what heaven smelled like’ ;-)

13. Vimitha Anand June 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

I am loving it… WOuld love to try it soon

14. Mr. & Mrs. P June 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Thank for stopping by our blog. New followers.. =)

This is a unique recipe.. never seen or tried something quite like this.

15. Gheza e shiriin June 11, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Thanks Jehanne for dropping by. There are people who are born to spread love & Rafee is one of them. I think those who have interacted with her will agree.

And now to your beautiful space. pickled strawberry sounds delicious like its name.
    Take care
    Humi

• Jehanne June 12, 2013 at 2:07 am #

Yes I agree that about Rafee, and thank you for popping by Humi!

• Rafeeda AR June 12, 2013 at 11:37 am #

oh humi… i’m so humbled… really… when jehanne told me, i was like, ohk… dear, jazakallah, barakallah feek, it’s just people like all of you around, that make me like this… :) :)

16. Chitz June 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

I just love the way u write :) Also the pics u shoot !! Pink & red merging in subtley, lovely !!! And what a unique request & a recipe.. Love the idea of pickling strawberries :)

17. Inside a British Mum's Kitchen June 11, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

What a beautiful post – I’ve bookmarked it – LOVE the ingredients
    Mary x

18. Kankana Saxena June 12, 2013 at 5:38 am #

I ate pickled strawberry for the first time when i was on the CA strawberry tour last week and was quite amazed with the concept. Not a big fan of anything pickled but it’s always good to have a jar for days when my palate plays dull!

19. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Yummy! Never ever thought of pickling strawberries before. Love the pickling spices used here :)

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

I’ve never had pickled strawberries (or let me think… any fruits!) before. Love to taste this. There’s always something new, even with the commonly used ingredients around. I’m surprised and intrigued at the same time!

21. Amy June 15, 2013 at 6:27 am #

What an intriguing recipe. I’ve never tried pickled strawberries and really want to taste it. I guess I would have to make myself a jar soon. The spices sounds like a wonderful combination with strawberries, and I love the grated ginger in here. :) Thanks for sharing. Your pictures are stunning. Have a wonderful weekend.

22. Dannie December 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I blog frequently and I seriously thank you foor your content.

The artifle has really peaked my interest. I am going to take a note of your website and keep checking for new
    information anout once a week. I subscribed to your
    RSS feed too.